In today’s busy world time management is key. When you time management plan throughout the week, there is often one part of the day that is hard to get things done: your commute. How are you supposed to get things done when you have to sit in rush hour traffic or ride on a crowded bus?
I recently realized that my two-hour round trip commute was wasting precious time that I could use by working on something important. I decided to optimize my time by including my bus commute in my time management planning and I want to share my tips and tricks with you.
Working during your commute
Here is what I do:
- In my organizational planner, I mark off 7-8AM and 5-6PM as a time to work on my blog.
- If I have a lot to plan, I bring my notebook and organizational planner along for the ride.
- If the bus is super crowded or I want to just brainstorm/jot things down I bring a small phone-sized notebook which is more easily accessible.
- I now have an hour each way which means two hours a day which equals 10 hours a week!! That is a lot of time that I am getting back to get something done!
Here is what you can do:
- Figure out how long you have on your commute: 30 minutes, 1 hour, more than 1 hour?
- Block off this time in your organizational planner, phone, scrap piece of paper, or just in your head as a time to spend on getting something done. Even if it is just planning your grocery shopping or weekly chores lists.
- If you take the bus or are a passenger in a carpool you can bring along your phone, a notebook, an organizational planner, or anything you can use to jot down ideas, look things up, and get things done.
- Don’t forget to bring a pen!
- The ride may get bumpy which makes for interesting handwriting!
- If you drive there are still a lot of ways to use your commute in your time management planning.
- Listen to an audio book that you always wanted to read.
- Listen to a self-help or other instructional tape.
- Learn a new language.
- Apply these tips and tricks when you travel on planes, trains, or boats. Luckily for longer trips, you can even have your laptop.
I can no longer live without this notebook and pen in my purse! I love jotting down ideas I have.
Think about your commute. How much time can you add back into your week through adding the time into your time management plan? What is something you didn’t have time for before? What could you do to make the most of this time? Give it some thought and then put it in action!!
What tips or tricks do you use for your commute? I would love to hear your ideas in the comments section below.