This page contains affiliate links. For more information, click here for my disclosure page.
Hello and welcome to my blog! I am so happy you are here! I’m Rebecca (or Becca for short). I am a new blogger hoping to reach out and make a difference in the world. I had been thinking of writing a blog for a while now, but I didn’t think I had a strong enough voice so I left it alone. Until now.
My passions are travel and wildlife conservation. I have my BS in Liberal Studies (with a focus on Wildlife Conservation) from Frostburg State University and my MS is Conservation and Biodiversity from the University of Exeter in England. I am currently working in a job (in an office with no windows…yuck…) which is not exactly what I envisioned for myself (working outside with animals or in conservation) which leaves me feeling gloomy.
After finding some brands that give back to conservation efforts, I decided that any small step towards my passion would make a difference in my life and hopefully in the lives of others, so here I am!! HI!! I found and bought Building a Framework by Just a Girl and Her Blog, after reading a post on Six Figures Under which is a blog I follow and love on paying off debt. I am ready to make a difference and I hope you will join me on this journey.
More about me
A few important things you should know about me:
- I love to travel!! Seriously…the travel bug is real and I have been bitten badly!!! It started with a trip to South Africa and never stopped. In fact, I have been to South Africa (4 times!), Swaziland, Kenya, Belize (2 times), Guatemala, Dominican Republic, England (where I lived for a year), the Netherlands, France, Germany, and Italy. I have thrown some national travel in there too for good measure. If you are planning your own travels, check out my free planning printables and checklists!
- I have loved animals my whole life. It started with growing up with pets and saving bugs from my kiddie pool. It then moved on to working with horses and being involved in the 4H. From there it moved to working at a doggy daycare, becoming a veterinary assistant, and then even a zookeeper for a short time.
- I sucked at school…at first. I drifted quite a bit until I found my passion in wildlife conservation. On my most recent trip to South Africa in 2012, I connected with many conservationists who pointed out that a Master’s degree would be very helpful to have. I got my butt into gear to finish my Bachelor’s. I built my own degree with internship credits (from my volunteering abroad programs) and picking/choosing which courses I wanted to take. I then was able to get my Master’s degree while studying abroad in England. Unfortunately, now I have lots of student debt. If you are interested, I am starting a blog about paying off debt soon. Connect with me on social media for more info!
- Last, but not least, I want to make a difference no matter how small. I don’t care if it’s a park clean up, blogging, connecting with brands that give back, or other bloggers/conservationists/people in general. I am tired of waiting for my dream job. I can make the other parts of my life the dream job. I need to act and there is no time like the present!!
A few funny/random things I will share in case you are interested:
- My favorite color is blue
- My favorite animal is an elephant
- My favorite book AND movie is Lord of the Rings (really….ask anyone…I am a major LotR nerd)
- I will always sing along to “Africa” by Toto
- I turned 30 this year
- I am really short. I am 5’1”. I have trouble reaching things so my 6’4” boyfriend bought me a step ladder. Thanks, honey.
- I am a cup hoarder. I leave a lot of cups on the side of my bed on the nightstand. Oops.
- I am a picky eater! It is a daily struggle. My boyfriend has even snuck veggies into my food….
I hope you follow along on this journey with me, not only by reading my story and my blog but by using this to help find your own passion. Go out and plan a stream clean up, have a bake sale for a good cause, teach kids to play an instrument, get your sewing materials ready to start your own fashion designs. It doesn’t matter what it is. If you love, DO IT! No. Matter. How. Small. Reay, set, GO!!
And don’t forget you can get access to my free printables page below that has trip planners and checklists!
FREE Printables Page!
Get access to my FREE password protected printables page!